“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent van Gogh
This course is for complete beginners, or those returning to art after a break, who would like to refresh their skills and aims to provide a supportive place in which you can learn traditional acrylic painting techniques. This will also include how to make preparatory drawings and successful compositions.
The course consists of a series of projects, including:
– how to blend paint
– paint an object from observation, using tone
– mix secondary and tertiary colours
– practise painting techniques, including: impasto, scumbling and applying a glaze
– how to select and use brushes and other tools
– explore a variety of subject matter, including: still life, landscape and portraiture
During the course there will be reference to other Artists’ work to inspire and encourage ideas. The tutor will provide small group demonstrations and individual support to ensure the student can work at their own level and pace.
B or 2B pencil, an eraser and a ruler. An A4 or A3 pad of good quality acrylic paper, acrylic paint brushes, acrylic paint introduction pack and a mixing palette. A drawing board and masking tape would also be useful.
A recommended brand for all materials is Daler Rowney System 3.
If you are unsure what to buy, bring what you have to the first lesson and the tutor can advise for subsequent lessons.
Please allow £30-£40 for materials.